BIGHORN BAM PRESENTED $750,000 TO LOCAL CANCER CHARITIES – That’s $5.25 Million gifted over the past 8 years!
BIGHORN BAM presented $750,000 to local cancer charities after a five-month fundraising season. Inspired to save the lives of Coachella Valley cancer patients, BIGHORN Behind A Miracle has raised over $5.25 million in just 8 years for cancer patient support services, breast cancer diagnostic technologies and educational scholarships.
A check for $600,000 was given to Eisenhower Lucy Curci Cancer Center to support a 3D Breast CT Scanner, four GE Logic s9 Ultrasound machines, Breast MRI Analysis Software and a Breast MRI Coil Invivo 16. Funds will also support a year of round-trip transportation services for patients undergoing radiation and chemotherapy treatments who would normally rely on public transportation. In addition, $150,000 was gifted to The Pendleton Foundation – a non-profit organization helping cancer patients with rent or utilities because they cannot work, purchase grocery cards so their families can eat and other ways to ease the financial impact upon their households. Additionally BIGHORN BAM marks its eighth year as on of the largest single private fundraisers benefiting Eisenhower Medical Center.
“BIGHORN BAM has grown every year….and this year is no exception!” exclaimes BAM Founder Selby Dunham – a breast cancer survivor of ten years. “I am so excited to give back to Eisenhower, after all, they gave me back my life.”
Over the past eight years, BIGHORN BAM has provided the following for early breast cancer detection, diagnosis and screening:
- More than 7,500 round trip transportation rides for radiation and chemotherapy patients who depend on public transportation.
- Giotto Mammography, a combination mammography and biopsy system.
- Corevision® tabletop specimen radiograph – provides immediate verification of excised breast tissue margins
- SIEMENS ACUSON S2000 Whole Breast 3D Ultrasound System
- Two new mammogram units, two SuperSonic Imagine Aixplorer Ultrasound Systems and a Digitizer to convert X-ray films into digitized images for higher magnification studies.
- Invivo Breast Array Coil and SonoSite Portable Ultrasound Machine for advanced breast imaging.
- Specialized Suro ATEC® Breast Biopsy and Excision System – modifies existing MRI to perform breast imaging/biopsy.
- CD burner for mammography images given to patients seeing multiple doctors.
- Three breast boards and head supports for exacting radiation and comfortable patient positioning.
- 100 comforting spa robes and a blanket warmer for patients awaiting radiation treatment.
- Two Digital Faxitron: rapid breast tumor specimen X-ray/analyzer during surgical excision or core biopsy procedures.
- Bone Densitometer allowing patients to have their mammogram and bone density test during same appointment.
- Gamma Probe for sentinel lymph node localization for rapid detection of metastatic breast cancer.
- Breast cancer patient diagnosis resource kits and patient genetic counseling services.
- $420,000 given to The Pendleton Foundationto assist cancer patients’ most basic needs.
- $10,000 in educational scholarships supporting families affected by cancer.
“BIGHORN Behind A Miracle has proven to be exactly that…a true miracle,” shares Selby. “We are so proud to keep this money in the desert and benefit Eisenhower’s first class facility as well as the genuine efforts The Pendleton Foundation exhibits with cancer patients who are truly in need. The generosity of the BIGHORN members, our friends and supporters is truly extraordinary….without the enthusiasm and energy of so many volunteers and committee members, none of this would have been possible.”